Monday, April 9, 2012

Our Psalms



The students: Marian, Andrew, Ellie
The subject:  History, namely the life and reign of King David in ancient Israel
The assignment:  Write your own psalm.

...you know, like David's psalms in the Bible.  Don't let the Bible-ish talk fool you; my kids are oh, so normal!  (As am I!)  I gave them this assignment at the beginning of the week (a few weeks ago), and told them to think about it as they faced whatever moods and feelings as the week progressed.  Together, we read a psalm from the Bible every day, and by the end of the week, they all had one of their own written-- Ellie had two!  It was a wonderful glimpse into the thoughts and feelings that don't always get expressed verbally.

I hope anyone that reads these is as blessed as I was!  I would recommend giving it a try with your own kids, regardless of their writing ability.

I will forever save their handwritten psalms, but share here what they wrote...

Marian's Psalm
O God, You are greater than my problem.
O God, You are greater than my feelings.
O God, help me in times of anger.
And help me be thankful.
Help me learn through the process.
I am giving all of me, all to You.
O God, take control of me.
I will praise You.


Andrew's Psalm
O God, help me to follow You!
Help me to follow You in hard times or in good times.
Help me to be nicer to my family.
Thank you for my salvation.



Ellie's First Psalm
O God, if I can learn on You, I will be fine.
And You shall be glorified.

Ellie's Second Psalm
God, I'm an ant to You,
But You are a giant to me.
Thank you for caring for us.

(I thought Ellie meant to write 'lean' in that first psalm, but she corrected me, so I write it here just as she meant it to be.)

And, in response, a psalm of my own...
O God, help me to live out a sincere faith with a true heart.
May I never be the cause of their stumbling.
Thank you for entrusting such precious hearts to my care.

2 comments:

  1. Dulci, I just love this idea. Am going to have to try it with my kids. And what a blessing to know their little hearts are sensitive to the Lord and seeking His ways and desiring to follow Him. I am so in agreement with your psalm.. I never want to be a stumbling block to these little ones. Thanks for sharing your heart and your assignment. Definitely will be trying it out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you!