Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reading Lists 2014

Now for the new item in my homeschool plans I am most excited about... reading lists!!  In the past, I have always encouraged my kids to read quality books, and they do quite well.  I read aloud to them almost every day.  At times, I have given one of them a book and told them, "You are going to read this!"  Most times they end up enjoying it; once in a while, not so much.

However, I have never made a written, planned list of required reading for any of them.  Until now!!
I started out intending to select about six books for each child.  Well, that list got out of control so fast!  I finally managed to trim the list down to about ten per child, with a bit more than that for Ellie because some of her books are quite simple and she is a really good reader.  They may not be able to complete all ten this year, but you never know until you try!  Many of these books are ones I have read before; the rest have been recommended by reliable sources.  Of the books that are new to me, I hope to find the time to read them along with the kids.

So without further ado.... The Lists.
*Marian (strong reader, 8th grade)*
Mary Slessor: Missionary Mother
Behind Rebel Lines
Twenty-One Balloons
The Singing Tree
The Endless Steppe
Number the Stars
If I Perish
Red Scarf Girl
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
The Phantom Tollbooth

*Andrew (a-bit-reluctant-but-good reader, aka typical boy, 6th grade)*
David Livingstone (by Sam Wellman)
Shades of Gray
Old Yeller
The Singing Tree
Misty of Chincoteague
I am David
Lassie, Come Home
Hatchet
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

*Ellie (strong reader, 3rd grade)*
Abraham Lincoln: A Photobiography
Thee, Hannah
Meet Kirsten (if time allows)
Meet Addy (if time allows)
Shipwrecked (by Rhoda Blumberg)
Anastasia's Album
Sarah, Plain and Tall
Meet Kit
A Penny for a Hundred
Molly Learns a Lesson (if time allows)
Charlotte's Web
Cricket in Times Square
The Secret Garden


 After reading each book, the kids will write a short summary of the story and complete some sort of creative project relating to the book.  For example, each list starts with a biography.  The project for this will be a picture collage and, if they would like, one or two quotes from the person studied.
For most of the books, I will let them choose what creative project they would like to do.  Ideas for these projects include...
a comic strip or newspaper article, 
a diorama or triorama (!!), 
a lapbook or shapebook, 
a movie poster, 
a diary entry, 
a paper doll figure for the character(s), 
a Venn diagram, 
a story map, 
a mobile, 
a collage,
a wordsearch or crossword puzzle, 
a main character body book report
or an art project which integrates key words from the story.

That's the plan for our reading this year!  I would love to hear about other homeschooler reading lists, or if you would like to weigh in on any books in our lists, that would also be welcome!

3 comments:

  1. I love your approach to reading and the list of creative projects! My kids are avid readers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lists! My daughter adores the American girl series. Addy is on her list to read next. Thanks for listing out your activities, too! I look forward to reading more about your year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome book lists! Sounds like your family will be doing lots of great reading, and lots of fun projects!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you!