Thursday, October 10, 2013

August-- In Like a Whirlwind, Out Like a Stampede!

That's what August felt like in our family!  We had the garden, football, an anniversary, a trip to Maine with lots of field trips and sightseeing, a wedding, the kids first trip to the ocean, and a new kitten!!  
As always, the garden is such a huge part of our summer.  The peppers were so green and juicy!  We had our first crop ever of Brussels sprouts this year-- really cool plants!


Then... a milestone.  Andrew's first season of football!  Dwayne was so proud, and I was.... scared??  I could not believe that I was not ready for this!  As much as I always expected the time would come when Drew would want to play football like his dad, surely that time hadn't come already?   As the season went on, however, I recovered from the initial shock and really enjoyed watching Drew out on the field every Saturday.  Like father, like son!
The new kitten came along around the same time.  We left Andrew's helmet out on the porch to air out after practice one night and cute little Calli thought it was the perfect little perch.
Next, came our anniversary!  18 years as sweethearts, best friends, life-sharers.  I'm so glad you're mine, Dwayne!
Around the middle of the month, we headed north to Maine to visit family, stopping for a day to sight-see in Philadelphia (separate post).  During our stay in Maine, we took in Cole's Transportation Museum, a great place to visit with displays ranging from horse-drawn wagons to semi-trucks, from railroad cars to snowplows, army jeeps to classic cars.  Now for some cute pictures...

A dairy truck that used to deliver milk to your doorstep
Crazy kids on a bench from an old train station

The boys really liked the WWII jeep


They've actually moved all the trappings from an old train station and reconstructed here at the museum.  Lots of cool stuff here!
 A couple big events while we were in Maine, foremost, my nephew Robbie's wedding.  It was beautiful, yet somehow, I came away without any good pictures of the bride and groom.  However, I did snap a wonderful picture of my parents 
 and one of my pretty little girl...
Another big event, at least for me personally, was my first official 5K!
 Here I am with my pit crew, holding up the official placement board for all the runners, in my other hand are bottles of blueberry soda which were provided after the end of the race.  I did not exactly break any records, but I didn't come in last either!  My time was 30:21, putting me in the middle third of the racers.  I was so proud!  And I was so glad to have my family cheering me on!
Dwayne with Reagan, Cousin Ben, Andrew, Ellie, Marian, and Cousin Matthew on the beautiful Maine coast
Another big day while we were in Maine-- a trip to the ocean.  This was Ellie's and Reagan's first time to touch the ocean, and all the kids' first trip to Acadia.  Having my sister and her family along made it an extra special day!  (More on Acadia on a separate post)
As always, spending time at Nana and Bubba's house is a highlight of our year.
Mmmmm!  Breakfast at Nana's!

           
This year, road construction right in front of the house was a source of endless fascination...... and Nana got the opportunity to hone her UNO skills!
 We always have such a good time in Maine.  Too soon it is time to return home.  Hugs, kisses, and tears send us on our way, but a piece of our heart remains.  We love you, Nana and Bubba!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you!