Saturday, October 12, 2013

Philadelphia, Summer 2013


On the steps of the 2nd Bank
This summer on our way up to Maine, we took a side-trip to spend a day seeing the really cool sights in Philadelphia.  Our first adventure was finding a parking space in downtown Philadelphia!  Not easy when you're driving a minivan with a luggage carrier on top!  We exceeded the clearance for every parking garage we could find.
Independence Hall in the background, and
and on the steps inside Congress Hall
Eventually, we did find a spot for street parking, even though it was a fair bit from all the historic site.

So the car is parked and we can start our day...
First came the Liberty Bell, which has a whole building dedicated to it.  Lots of history there, with the entire story of the bell told in pictures and on panels as we made our way through the building.  By the way, you're not supposed to touch the Liberty Bell.  Not sure why; it's a big hunk of metal and surely wouldn't be hurt by people touching it.  Well, gladly, I did not see the sign.  Yes, I touched the Liberty Bell.  Sorry for breaking the rule, but it was worth it!
Next came Independence Hall.  Our tour guide was so nice, with such interesting mannerisms and such a neat way of speaking; Marian and I just loved him!
This park ranger was
the best tour guide ever!





As for the buildings, there is such a feeling of awe when you imagine men with powdered wigs, white ascots, and knee britches in those very rooms, discussing, debating, arguing, or worse!  I love to touch history like that... and to bring my kids along to experience it as well.Our next stop was the  Portrait Gallery in the2nd Bank of  the United States.  Here, there were portraits of many historical figures, some more familiar than others.  To be honest, the building itself was of far more interest to us than the portraits.  Way cool cellar.

Then we took a stroll down a couple of blocks to an old storefront which the park had set up as a Ben Franklin era print shop.  There, we could see the way the print had to be set, letter by letter, as well as some of the clever sayings that would have appeared in Poor Richard's Almanac.
I liked this one. :)
Our last historic visit was a little sidetrip to a place called Elfreth's Alley.  If I understand correctly, this is the oldest residential alley in the United States that has been constantly inhabited.  I don't think this visit had as much meaning for Dwayne and the kids as it had for me.  I've recently read about (and been creeped out by) the yellow fever epidemic of 1793.  Surely not the only epidemic of this nature in cities of that time period, but the one I know most about.  I could just imagine living in those tiny rooms, waste thrown out in the narrow street, the heat of summer bearing down, mosquitoes, rodents...  It makes me shudder.

On a lighter note, our day was winding up at this point, but we had one more thing to do.  We absolutely had to eat a Philly steak sandwich in Philly!  In the process of going from place to place, we had noticed two restaurants, side by side, on Market Street, both of which boasted (as do they  all) to have the best Philly steak in the city.  We decided to put them to the test.  Half the family ordered from one restaurant and half ordered from the other.  Well, I won't name both restaurants, but I will say that Panini's Trattoria makes a mighty fine steak sandwich!
On the other hand, it made me feel good to discover that the Philly steak sandwiches I make in my crockpot at home do not suffer by comparison.  Not braggin', just sayin'.

So ends our Philadelphia trip.  We really enjoyed the city and all the history it holds.
So... much...fun....
I need to note this so I will always remember.  Dwayne was such a dear that whole day (as he so often is).  Since we'd had to park on the street, we had a meter to feed.  Dwayne kept track of the time and walked back to the car every time the meter needed more money.  Like I said it was a good distance from the park sites to where the car was parked.  He never complained, and refused to even consider letting me do it even once.   XXOO, Dwayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you!