Sunday, February 3, 2013

My One Word - 2013

So I've been thinking about the One Word challenge, a challenge to choose a single word that sums up what I would ask God to do in me this year.  Ever heard of this idea?
Well, God's been whispering a word to me for a few weeks now: roots.

Roots go deep.  Roots are the means by which a plant receives nutrients, life.  Roots provide support and stability.  God has been showing me how I need to be more rooted in Him, His Word.  There is no other source of daily sustenance, no other way to stand steadfast, no other way to "Good and faithful servant" status.

Psalm 119:133 says, "Establish my footsteps in your word, and do not let any iniquity have dominion over me."  Or as God highlighted it for me, to me, "Root me in Your Word so that sinful habits cannot sway me."

I've heard it said, "Either the Word will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Word."

So this year, I want my roots to grow.  Deep and long, pushing sin out, pulling the Word in.

And you?  Do you have one word?

1 comment:

I look forward to hearing from you!